Codes and customs
The maisons d'éducation of the Legion of Honor are modern educational institutions, open to the world, which obey special rules due to their ties with the Legion of Honor. Their education mission involves the perpetuation of the traditions and symbols of the Institution.
Wearing the uniform
ln the classroom
The delivery of student reports
Halfway through the trimester, the head of school goes to every classroom to inform students of their grades and level of progress. Every student is given personalized comments, encouraging her to sustain her efforts and show pride in her work.
ln addition to the usual system of « congratulations» and « encouragements », the best students are rewarded by mention on the honor roll or by receiving a medal, which consists of a small rectangle of fabric of the same color as their belts.
- Honor roll rewards the students who do honorably well in their studies and/or behavior.
- The medal is a distinction for those students who show outstanding success in their studies and/or behavior.
Beyond scholastic achievements, special attention is given to behavior. A sense of duty, punctuality, politeness and solidarity are important values and are rewarded.
A lime for celebration and sharing, the prize ceremony that ends the school year is a pedagogical and educational event of ils own. Presided over by the Grand Chancellor, the ceremony follows a precise ritual designed to encourage and reward excellence.
- To begin . the students sing the French national anthem, La Marseillaise, before they are welcomed by the Superintendent or the Intendant, depending on the class. Aguest speaker then gives the traditional speech for the occasion.
- Special prizes are conferred upon the best student in each subject, regardless of grade.
- Prizes are awarded for each grade.
- each student receives a new belt in another color, symbolizing the passage to the next grade.
- The parents association and the alumnae association award an education prize and a comradeship prize. Legion of Honor recipients associations aise award prizes.
- The Grand Chancellor brings the ceremony to a close, and the students strike up a goodbye song.
The President's concert
Another highlight of the school year, the President's concert showcases the importance of a music education.
Every year in the spring, some one hundred members of the choirs of Les Loges and Saint-Denis and instrumentalists of both schools perform in honor of the President of the French Republic . the Grand Master of the Order of the Legion of Honor. The President attends or sends a representative to this annual musical rendezvous.
The students' sense of civic service and their awareness of France's historical heritage and the significance of the State are enhanced by participation in various official events. The students are selected on the basis of their desire to volunteer, their good conduct and their academic records.
Students thus attend the lighting of the flame at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier under the Arc de Triomphe, as well as parades under arms at Les Invalides when the President is in attendance. They are also invited to the autumn reopening session of the Académie Française.
On July 14, 2002, they marched down the Champs-Elysées on the occasion of the bicentennial of the Legion of Honor.